Thursday, May 13, 2010

Freezing Cold, But Warm Inside

While walking through our home today it felt colder than normal. I initially thought it was just me, because I am the one in our family that sets the thermostat. Mommy controls the temperature and she remembered where she had set it the night before. (That in itself is a loaded statement.) It must have been serveral hours before I decided to check the thermostat to see how cold it was, or if my husband adjusted it on his way out this morning. I wish I'd looked a lot earlier. Everyone who lives in the South knows that this time of year is when electric rates increase. Needless to say, someone dropped the air conditioner down to 50 degrees! My fingertips weren't purple because I was crazy; they were purple because I was literally freezing. I immediately set it back to 75 degrees, and as I did so, I knew in my heart who the culprit was.

I called my 4 yr. old son to me and asked him if he'd touched the thermostat. You should have seen the look on his face. Anyone with a child that age and above knows exactly what I'm talking about. His face was a mixture of fear and panic. I could read his mind as he took a moment to decide whether he'd lie and say no against what the outcome will be if he answers honestly. I gave him his moment to decide and he chose wisely. "Yes, Mommy... I did," was his answer. I immediately sent him to time-out. (Time-out is a great place to send your child while deliberating your choices and/or controlling your anger.)

Just then I heard on the inside of me, "Don't have this conversation twice." I understood immediately the direction the Lord was communicating. You see, dropping the A/C to a temperature as low as 50 degrees is a potentially expensive move. Having worked for several years in the apartment industry, I knew firsthand how running an A/C unit at its lowest setting leads to costly repairs. And remember that I live in the South, so being without air conditioning for any length of time is a form of hell.

I then released my son from time-out and had him wait for me in his room. The first question I asked him was if he knew that touching the thermostat was a no-no. Again he impressed me with his honesty when he told me he knew it was wrong, but just wanted to do it anyway. I paddled his behind and waited for him to calm down. Afterwards, he and I sat down and discussed the situation. I explained to him what my expectations were should the desire to adjust the thermostat ever present itself again in the future. I had him repeat back to me what those expectations were. And then I told him why the thermostat was off limits and that a part of my love for him was that I provide for him. I explained that his physical comfort is a part of that provision. Lastly, I hugged him. My son really looks forward to the hug after the paddling. As usual, he kissed me and told me he loved me!

Here's the kicker, here's the blessing of this whole experience: Everytime I have to correct my son I am given the opportunity to demonstrate the love of God to him. As people we will mess up, intentionally and unintentionally. And, more often than not, there will be consequences. But nevertheless, as receivers of God's unmerited favor (grace), we never need to be ashamed or live in condemnation over bad decisions. God deals with us as children because He is invested in our personal development - because He claims us as children and loves us beyond our comprehension. (Hebrews 12:7-12) Through the simple act of loving on my son after every correction, I partner with the Lord in teaching him this aspect of who he is, and what he has in Christ Jesus. My son can get a spanking and go on with his day. He knows mommy and daddy won't be looking at him sideways for the rest of the day, nor constantly reminding him that he messed up. All he knows is what's expected of him from that point on.

No comments:

Post a Comment